Friday, April 27, 2012

Indie Spotlight - An Ocean of Trouble

An Ocean of Trouble (The Undead Crimefighting League)An Ocean of Trouble by Amber Vilate
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’d planned to give this 3.5 stars, but since I can't, I’m rounding up to four because it was well written. Now, to explain why.

First off, I enjoyed this story. After reading ‘Sophie and the Wolf,’ I was really hoping for more from Thalia, and I wasn’t disappointed. She appears early on, and we learn a little more about her. I like Sophie, but her weird group of friends makes her story that much more interesting.

I don’t want to give anything away, but this story continues the major mystery introduced in the last one and adds something new. I liked the addition, and thought it was a cool twist that fits perfectly into this world, but it was pleasantly unexpected. I also liked the progression of Sophie’s relationship with her crush, it felt natural and realistic (as realistic as that kind of relationship can be, lol). The one thing I didn’t like was that this episode felt less enclosed than the last. It’s not that there was no new information, but still, I finished the story feeling like I had more questions than answers – this installment felt more like a chapter of a larger book than a complete piece on its own. Still, it was a good read and I’m looking forward to the next one. I suppose the point is to get readers hooked, so on that note, well played, Amber Vilate. :)

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. It's not Wednesday, but here's an extra for you anyway. Boom.

    ReplyDelete